Grey Granite found Kinkell Kirkyard quite by accident, noticing the Historic Scotland sign on the way to Inverurie from Keith Hall where Rufus was at the dog groomer's being spruced up.
The ruined kirk is situated in a tranquil setting close to the west bank of the Don, adjacent to a farm which seems to specialise in growing turf. Jervise (1875) records that 'a ferry boat has long plied upon the Don, opposite the old kirk'. Today the location is dominated by the huge paper mill on the far bank of the Don, the graves of several generations of the Tait family, who founded the paper mills and ran them for 137 years, are in the kirkyard.
Within the ruins is this extraordinary recycled gravestone, considered by Douglas Simpson to be the only authentic, contemporary memorial of the Battle of Harlow. Originally the slab commemorated at Knight, Gilbert de Greenlaw, who was slain at Harlow on 24 July 1411 and whose image, wearing highly detailed armour, is incised in the yellowish sandstone. The knight is cut off at the knees. This truncation probably occurred in 1592 when the stone was re-used by John Forbes of Ardmurdo whose memorial inscription in Latin runs round the margins of the reverse side of the stone.
The carving on the reverse side of the Greenlaw stone includes the three boars heads and a hawk of the Forbes of Ardmurdo crest. The inscription round the edge reads 'Here lies, bright with honor, and adorned with saintly piety of character, John Forbes of Ardmurdo, fourth successor of his name (?) who died 8th July 1592, in the 66th year of his age.' Beneath the arms is a text in Greek (Philippians 1 verse 21)
A slab in the east gable of the church commemorating Dame Mary Gordon, wife of George Skene, minister who died 1st August 1712 aged 32.